So, you’ve decided to start your own business, or you need to know a bit more about the next step.
We recommend applying online at https://sa.www4.irs.gov/modiein/individual/index.jsp.
After you have reviewed the popular types of legal entities available to you in the US, you’re ready to create your Employer Identification Number (EIN). You will need to know how you want your business structured to complete the application process. Once you know this, the process is relatively simple and quick.
Check out our Legal Business Structures post for information on what business structure is best for you.
Determine if you are eligible to obtain an EIN online.
- Your main place of business is located in the US or the US Territories
- The personal applying has a valid Taxpayer ID Number (SSN, EIN, ITIN)
- You are not applying for more than one EIN per responsible party per day
- A “responsible party” is a person who owns and/or controls the business entity. The responsible party must be an individual, not an entity unless the applicant is a government entity.
Make sure you understand the application.
- Once you begin, your online session will expire after 15 minutes of inactivity. Be ready to devote at least 25 minutes to this application process.
- You must complete the application in “one sitting.” After you start the application, you do not have the option to save and exit. You will be required to start over.
- After submission, you will receive your downloadable EIN document.
- You should save and print the document. Keep this in a safe place and remember, backups are your friend!
As you can see, the basic online application process to get your EIN isn’t too challenging. If you have questions in regards to your EIN or the application, most can be answered online. If you can’t find your answer there, you can call the IRS. Once you get through, they are very helpful.
Have fun taking your first official step to starting your new business!